02 / 12 / 2016 2.30pm
NHS Employers has created a champions scheme in partnership with the Ministry of Defence (MoD) and the Department of Health, and aims to increase the awareness of reservists within the NHS, and to highlight the benefits that employing reservists can have for organisations and employers.
Who can be a champion?
A champion can be anyone within your organisation who takes the lead on supporting the reservists in your workforce, or has an interest in this area. They will be required to show their support by achieving the following:
- display their contact details on the NHS Employers reserve forces footprint map, which also provides the contact details of local military units and the local defence relationship management contact
- highlight their position to the reservists within their organisation
- encourage their organisation to apply for, and achieve, the different award levels of the employer recognition scheme (ERS)
- encourage their organisation to sign the armed forces covenant
- share relevant links and good practice via the NHS Employers and MoD websites, on their internet/intranet, as well as talking to colleagues about supporting reservists
- share information, which will be supplied by NHS Employers, on how their organisation supports reservists at recruitment and induction stages.
We envisage a lot of employers will have taken steps to achieve most of the above, and may also have an identified lead. We would therefore look to strengthen these links to relevant organisations, and offer supporting tools and resources.
To nominate your champion, complete this short registration form
Upon signing up to become a champion, we will send you an exclusive champion starter pack including a best practice slide pack and the NHS Reserve Forces Champion poster to use in your NHS organisation. We will also offer you exclusive access to new resources and the opportunity to be able to work with NHS Employers to tailor resources depending on your organisation's requirements, receive quarterly updates on all relevant issues and be invited to attend champions forums in your area.