The Electronic Staff Record (ESR) supports the entire recruitment process – from the identification of the vacancy, through the selection of suitable applicants, to an offer being made to the successful candidate. The data that is captured during this process creates and builds the employee record, so this information never needs to be entered again.
ESR integrates with the online NHS Jobs service already in use in 95 per cent of NHS organisations and with other e-recruitment systems. Vacancies can be transferred from ESR to the e-recruitment system and subsequently to the internet. Applicants can be short-listed in the e-recruitment system and their details then transferred to ESR.
In addition, ESR:
- Integrates with the streamlined junior doctor deanery interface to facilitate the junior doctors in training rotation programmes, allowing you to know who your junior doctors are and monitor their whereabouts. To read more about the benefits of streamlining junior doctors' rotations view our dedicated web page.
- Enables employment checks to be recorded and monitored. This includes permanent staff, staff on fixed-term contracts, temporary staff, volunteers, students, trainees, contractors and highly mobile staff supplied by an agency.
- Allows medical assessments, immunisations and checks to be recorded, monitored, managed and reported upon at a local level. Third party occupational health systems can link with ESR through a bi-directional Interface.
- Facilitates a single data entry process. Applicant data is built up throughout the recruitment process and forms the basis of the employee record. In the event of staff transferring between different NHS organisations, their employment record is instantly available to the new employer via inter-authority transfer functionality.
- Allows you you to access a suite of dashboards via the business intelligence (BI) functionality. This supports both the recruiting process (e.g. vacancy list reports and applicant status reports), and the mandatory monitoring of applicants (e.g. equal opportunities).
More detailed information about the whole range of recruitment activities that are carried out in ESR is available here.