20 / 4 / 2017 Midnight
This standard outlines the legal requirements when considering candidate's for NHS positions which are eligible for a criminal record check under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975.
The standard includes guidance on:
- the different types of criminal record check (including overseas police checks and those obtained in the UK through the Disclosure and Barring Service)
- eligibility for the different levels of check
- legislative drivers
- what to do when the outcome of a DBS check reveals a positive disclosure
- the DBS filtering rules; and
- legal duties to refer to the DBS.
Download the criminal record checks standard.
Further useful information
We have also produced a range of resources to aid employers in the understanding and application of the criminal record and barring check requirements.
Seeking a self-declaration
You can find a list of the key changes made to the NHS Employment Check standards in our 2015/16 review document.
More background information about the purpose of the standards, who they apply to, how to meet compliance, avoiding discrimination, and validating documents can be found on the Employment check section of our website.