The NMS is targeted at people who have been newly prescribed a medicine for a long-term condition (LTC). The service offers support, helping patients to appropriately manage their condition and develop effective medication adherence in order to:
- reduce symptoms and complications related to the LTC
- quickly identify and manage any problems with the medication, management of the condition and/or any need for further information or support
- make informed choices to appropriately self-manage their condition.
For more information please see the NMS Guidance
, which has been jointly developed by NHS Employers and PSNC, or the NMS Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
The NMS is currently targeted towards the following patient groups and conditions:
- asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- type 2 diabetes
- patients prescribed antiplatelet/anticoagulant therapy
For each condition/therapy area, a list of medicines
has been agreed. If a patient is newly prescribed one of these medicines then they will be eligible to receive the service, subject to the pharmacist being able to determine that the medicine is being used to treat one of the above conditions (as in some circumstances a medicine can be used to treat more than one condition).