24 / 11 / 2016 8.24am
The winners of the Health Service Journal (HSJ) Awards 2016 were announced last night (Wednesday 23 November) at a ceremony held at the Intercontinental Hotel in London. The awards celebrate excellence and innovation and the fantastic work and achievements that take place in healthcare across the country.
EU Staff award
NHS Employers sponsored the inaugural EU Staff award which was created to recognise the contribution that staff from the European Union bring to the NHS.
Alistair McLellan, HSJ Editor broke tradition and named all six people on the shortlist as winners. They are:
- Jaime Puente, a staff grade doctor at the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital, was rewarded for his work ethic and upbeat manner as well as his skills.
- Luminita Georgescu, a specialist biomedical scientist in immunology at Royal Bournemouth and Christchurch Hospitals Foundation Trust, was nominated for tireless innovative thinking and morale-boosting enthusiasm.
- Eibhlin Collins, a practice nurse at Camden Health Improvement Practice, is said to have made a major impact on the health of homeless people with her compassion and skill.
- Maggie Galbarczyk, a psychological wellbeing practitioner at the Black Country Partnership Foundation Trust, was praised for her knowledge, skill, sparkle and drive, and for not being held back by her blindness.
- Francesco Muntini, a consultant paediatric neurologist at Great Ormond Street Hospital, was described as a leading light who has developed pioneering treatments for children with complex conditions.
- Claudine De Munter, paediatric intensive care consultant at St Mary’s Hospital in London, drove simulation care using baby simulators and has been described as a great teacher and innovator.
Chief executive of the year
NHS Employers and NHS Confederation jointly sponsored the chief executive of the year, which was won by Marianne Griffiths, Western Sussex Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. Marianne was praised for her openness and transparency and the judges described her as a selfless and devoted leader who inspires and supports staff to always do their best for patients.
Congratulations to Marianne and all the EU staff winners.
Visit the HSJ website to view the full list of award winners.